Managing Change

Change is inevitable. You, your team, and your company are bound to experience it along with the potential roller coaster that can accompany it. In order to grow through change, it is imperative that you and your management team know how to navigate it. While change might stir up some resistant staff members, it doesn’t have to be a bad thing! By appointing the appropriate leaders to manage change and by planning ahead – you can continue to navigate change as smoothly as possible. How can you successfully manage change in your organization?

Read further for tips on how to manage change:

Develop Your “A-Game” Change Management Teams.

A study by McKinsey & Co. found that only 26% of change initiatives are successful. That leaves a whipping 74% failure rate. Following failed change initiatives, employees can experience low productivity and morale, and lose trust in their organization’s leaders and management. In order for a change initiative to succeed, you’ll want to appoint the appropriate leaders to comprise your change management team. The skills they will employ will help your change initiatives turn from a failed mission to a successful one. 

Necessities:

  • The ability to listen. Leaders cannot just plan amongst themselves. They need to be able to listen and gather information from all departments of the organization. For example, the front-line employees may have crucial insight that can help assess problems with the company’s process, so their feedback can be a top contributor in mapping a clear path towards positive change.
  • Understanding the company’s main priorities. Building strong relationships with the key people in each department is vital for the success of a change initiative. This way, they can learn and understand what is and isn’t working within each respected department and align key initiatives and goals. From there, the change management team can build a well-rounded plan that is beneficial to each individual department and can contribute greatly to the company as a whole.

 

Expect Resistance:

It is in our human nature to resist change, so some employees might find it hard or be against it. Employees can feel anxiety and stress while moving into the unknown factors brought about by change. According to a recent study by Harvard Medical School, resistance is a physiological reaction – not just psychological. When working to adopt a new way of thinking, the brain will automatically want to revert back to what it is used to – generating a difficult and potentially painful process. Change management teams need prepare and focus on alleviating possible resistance.

Predict the most likely sources of resistance and prepare accordingly. Create specialized tactics you will use to identify, combat, and manage the resistance. Reinforce the change by conducting assessments and providing opportunities for feedback to bridge gaps and overcome barriers within the process.

 

Introducing change within your company can be a challenge, however, for a company to grow and thrive in the busting business world, it is inevitable. It is important for you and your management team to be well prepared to successfully navigate the process and manage your change initiatives in order to reach your goals.